Unique Selling Points (Namibia) applied to reduce the import duties on canned minced anchovies, cleared under tariff code 1604.20.30. The duty is currently 25% and they wish to have it reduced to 6c per kg by creating a new tariff code for “Minced in airtight metal containers for human consumption”. The reasons provided are:
- Canned minced anchovies provide people with limited financial resources with access to a low-cost source of protein.
- Other types of canned fish products are not subject to the 25% duty currently imposed on this product.
- Imported products do not compete with any locally produced goods.
- Canned minced anchovies should be compared to tuna product variants that carry a duty of 6c/kg and are imported entirely, despite not having local a local producer.
- The reduction of customs duty on canned fish products will not have a negative impact on any labour structure.
Interested parties have until 21 April 2023 to respond.
Want help? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download XA’s Import Duty Investigations Report here to find out how import duty investigations work